Friday, November 16, 2007

Off Again

I woke up yesterday morning sick, sick again, my body telling me to knock all this shit off.  Can't get back from a trip to New York and just jump right into everything and just expect no pushback.  So I rested some yesterday, even though I should have been grading papers, finishing my draft for the conference next week, writing an abstract.  I just stopped, crawled into bed last night, let Eric love me some, went to sleep.  Today I'm trying to catch up, get ready to get on the plane for England tomorrow, totally unprepared.  But that's what the all-day flight is for, right?

We have a new kitty, Mei-Mei, who adopted us, sort of.  She's two, and tiny, white with gray spots and a striped tail, and sweet as anything I've ever seen.  Nolie is absolutely obsessed with her.  So, we're a three-cat household now, which I never anticipated, but which is lovely, having these little lovies all around us.  Prudence and Sadie are not so sure, but we think they'll come around.  Maybe I'm extra attached right now because I'm leaving so much.

I'm headed to India in January after all, making for a lot of traveling in a little time.  I'm trying to explain next week's trip to Addie, but it's hard to know how much she understands.  Eric says both girls we're asking for me this weekend, and seemed relieved when I got home.  So a week away will be tough, so soon, and for so long.

There's the missing Eric that happens, too.  In New York one night, a few of us went out to a jazz club where Miles Davis had played, and I knew Eric would have loved it.  And I felt sad that he wasn't there, resolved again that when I got home I'd start to make arrangements for us to go out more together.  Because there's nobody in the world I'd rather be with, out in the world, and we just haven't been making it happen. 

Still, I'm looking forward to walking London, to riding the train through the countryside, to spending a few days just talking about movies at the Spielberg conference.  I'm looking forward to sleeping in and eating and just wandering some.  And I'll be just as glad to come home, and to breathe a little as we head into Christmas.

I've also resolved not to travel in spring, to re-root, re-center, and get some things figured out.  Again.

See you soon...



2 comments:

  1. Jen,
    I bet you already know this but just in case...if you squirt a little "Ocean" in your nose every 15-20 minutes when you're on thei airplane, you'll get fewer post-flight colds. The mucous membranes get extra dry when we fly leaving us vulnerable to germs. Good luck! You can get Ocean from any drug store...it's just saline solution.
    Gammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the mom commentary about mucous.
    My only England travel tips are don't drink at every pub the first night and then insist on a shot of Jack. The B roads are a bitch of a ride home. I'll say no more.
    Wow, I didn't know you were traveling so much. I'll have to say, I hope, that the best part of traveling is coming home. There is much beauty in the alone time, I'm certain you will discover. So I hope that it fills you with joy, peace and a renewed sense of being. Travel safe my friend. xo. A

    ReplyDelete