Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I Feel [Sic]



 

This morning was one of those mornings that leave my head spinning a little.  I woke up early and a little groggy and got ready before the girls woke up.  Eric took Addie to school and I checked email, ran an errand, and then dropped Nolie off at daycare across town.  Back to this part of town, to the dentist.  Where I had the most talkative oral hygienist on the planet. 


"Am I going to get out of here by 10:30?" I asked.


"Oh, sure, hon" she said, leaning back, leisurely twirling and untwirling floss around her fingers.  "So anyway, I'm looking at moving out to Debbie's, you know, because Rick has the cocaine problem and the girlfriend, and Debbie and I love to go gambling.  That's where I was last Thanksgiving--Las Vegas, I mean.  I met a big-time gambler who took me out...."  Blahdiblahdiblah.


Normally, I find these one-way conversations fascinating, a break from having to hold my end up.  In fact, I know people who just talk the entire time we're together, and I love it.  I can just listen and nod and uh-huh and not have to contribute.  Which feels like a giant relief.  Almost like meditation.  I can just leave my body and live in their saga, their drama, rather than my own.


But today, I really had to be out of the dentist's office by 10:30.  A coworker had her baby yesterday and I needed to cover her 11 o'clock class in Golden.  In short, I needed more flossing and less talking. 


"I really have to leave by 10:30," I said meekly.


"You will, hon," she said.  "So anyway, Deb runs this bus with all this dental equipment, and drives around to different little towns...."


I thought I was pretty much screwed by that point.  Not only would I be late for class, but my teeth wouldn't get cleaned and I'd have to make yet another dental appointment.  I'd had to cancel three already, and barely squeezed this one in.  But then came my big break.


I read an article a while back by a professor who was talking about how, as soon as people find out she's an English teacher, they say something like, "Oh, I've always been terrible at grammar and spelling!  You're probably going to correct my English!"  As if, as an English teacher, you're trolling the streets with your dictionary and thesaurus and Strunk and White's waiting for a missed apostrophe or incorrect tense.


This has happned to me.  If you teach English and you're in New York, the cabbie will ask you what you do (if he speaks English, that is), and you'll say, "I teach writing," and you know suddenly conjured in his mind is some looming Nun, Sister Grammarface from St. Mary of the Conjunction, who rapped his knuckles with a ruler when he didn't know the past pluperfect of "to kneel."  And he's projecting that history on to you.  "I'm terrible at English," he'll say.  "Your students must love you!" he'll say sarcastically.  End of conversation.


Mostly I hate these moments.  Someone finds out I teach writing and they begin apologizing for their grammar or giving me crap about what Mrs. So-and-So gave them in 8th grade English.  Then, the uncomfortable silence.  I've never had much use for these moments.  I'm not a grammar Nazi.  I'm not even a grammar expert.  It's important, but it's not the most important thing in communication.  I'm uncomfortable, in general, with being seen this way.


Until today.


The hygienist finally took a breath long enough to look at my chart and saw that I was an instructor.  "So what do you teach, hon?" she said. 


Ah-ha, I thought trying not to smile as she inserted the bitewings for the x-ray.


"Witig," I managed with the cardboard in my cheeks.


Silence.  Then, "Oh."  Teeth clenched (hers, not mine).


Which was followed by the most brutal gum cleaning I've ever endured.  Mrs. So-and-So must have flunked my hygienist back in 8th grade.  But it quieted her down at least, and I got out of there by 10:30, got to Golden by 11, taught the class, turned back around and picked up Nolie so that the sitter could leave for her Thanksgiving vacation, and was home by 1.


All in a day's work.



42 comments:

  1. What a delightful tale. It's always nice when your profession comes in handy outside the office. (And, by the way, I still rely on you for grammar adjudication -- rather than 'Nazi' I think Nancy called you 'The Grammar Maven'.)

    In my case, it usually backfires. When Julie's landlord in SF found out we were moving to San Diego so that I could work for Sony, he says to me, "Oh, y'know what, I have this old VCR that stopped working. Maybe you can have a look at that for me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting, I did not expect to find this here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey , I just stopped by to visit your site and thought I'd say thank you .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been previously browsing for a time just for a smart articles or blog posts with regard to this particular point . Scouting around in Bing I now found this url. Seeing this post So i'm delighted to imply that I've got a nice sense I ran across just what I wanted. Most definitely i'll ensure to don't forget this blog and visit constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you write and also the theme on your blog. Did you code this yourself or was it done by a professional? I'm very very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for share very nice informations. Your blog is goodI am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Bookmarked this page, will come back for more. You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched everywhere and just couldn’t find. What a perfect site. Like this website your website is one of my new favs.I like this data given and it has given me some sort of commitment to succeed for some reason, so keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Może jesteś w mocy mnie wesprzeć: piszę blog: co prawda na inny temat, jednakże nie to jest istotą tego pytania: najogromniejszy szkopuł mam ze spamem i nijak nie potrafię sobie z tym poradzić... Widzę, że ten blog jest utrzymany w porządku i widocznie nie masz tego problemu. Jak to robisz? Awansem dziękuję za oddźwięk na Twoim blogu. BTW: bardzo fajna stronka :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is this kind of a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free of charge. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It?s the old what goes around arrives close to routine. Did you acquired plenty of links and I see lots of trackbacks?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the colors here on your blog. did you design this yourself or did you outsource it to a professional?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is the most important thing that happened to you today?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for share very nice knowledges. Your website is greatI am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Bookmarked this page, will come back for more. You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched everywhere and just couldn’t find. What a perfect site. Like this website your website is one of my new favs.I like this site shown and it has given me some sort of inspiration to have success for some reason, so thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been searching for a time for just a reasonable study dealing with this kind of subject matter . Checking out in Aol I now uncovered this website. Reading this post I’m just happy to enunciate that I’ve got a great impression I discovered precisely what I was looking for. For certain i will be sure to don’t forget this blog and go here on a constant basis.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I to thank you for this good post .I definitely wanted every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your web site to look at the latest stuff you put up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Help and Save More Animals Today ! http://www.helpanimalsnow.net/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reading your article I get the impression that comes to you very quickly translate ideas into text. Great article, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I fully support all efforts to conserve, reuse and recycle - and it should be something that the whole nation should be doing - NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Real wonderful information can be found on weblog here .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Been lookin for most useful information within the last hour thanks just for this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice work. You keep working on this blog please.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I couldn't agree more great stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. However thank you for this blog.I will are available back again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck and thanks for the great article.I will are available back again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Links exchange request... Your blog is what I'm looking for, do you want to exchange links with me at global warming and climate change essay?. Better still, I offer a 3-way backlink from my other website. The swap inbound link contact info is at the home page.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Inbound links exchange suggestion... Good day, do you want to swap web links with me at global warming climate change essay?. This time, I give you a three-way link from my other site. The exchange link request detail is at my home page.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I absolutely adore reading your blog posts, the variety of writing is smashing.This blog as usual was educational, I have had to bookmark your site and subscribe to your feed in ifeed. Your theme looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am a very good web sites where you can find decent information on this topic. But this blog is beyond all space

    ReplyDelete
  27. Helpful information thanks. I added your blog on my favorite, will visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cool info it is definitely. I’ve been searching for this content.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jeez, thank you for managing to use proper English. I checked at a few before this and it looked like a 5th grader wrote it...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Helpful information here. I added your site on my favorite, so visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is a good matter to talk about. Thank you for putting up this page. I'm sure there are a lot looking for this kind of debate.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I will be vying for an interview with a this pcba manufacturers Wednesday. I hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can see what you mean. Fantastic thoughts and they've definitely opened up my eyes to the chance of what you are declaring. You sure do have got a lots of comments about this post!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I appreciate seeing webs that comprehend the worth of giving a prime useful resource,his help to make this website worth coming back to for even more info!3

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really enjoyed what you had to say.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow! what an idea ! What a concept ! Beautiful .. Amazing. i bookmarked this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for this blog. Thats all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something thats eye opening and important. You clearly know so much about the subject, youve covered so many bases. Great stuff from this part of the internet. Again, thank you for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Want to say your brief article is as astonishing. The insight in the post is simply great and I also might believe you are an professional for this theme.. Well together with your authorization ok , i'll to get your current feed to maintain up to this point with forthcoming put up.

    ReplyDelete