Monday, June 8, 2009

Lord Help Me Ice Cream At Home

HOW COME nobody every told me you could easily make your own ice cream at home?  Huh?  HUH?  We get our Blue Yonder Book of Days for June, and there's a recipe for "freezer ice cream":

Take a quart of strawberries (or other fruit), a can of sweetened condensed milk, and two can-fulls (using the condensed milk can) of regular milk.  Put in blender until smooth.  Stick in a cake pan in the freezer for 2 hours, scraping the solids to one side every half-hour.  After 2 hours, voila!  Delicious strawberry ice cream!  No need for fancy mixers or balls (balls again!) or churns. 

I'm freaking out.

You have to understand, I eat a bowl of ice cream every day.  EVERY DAY.  I know that's shocking for some.  I meet people (much thinner than I, usually) who say, oh, I allow myself one little bite of chocolate on Sundays, as a treat, and I am like, huh?  I usually have that before breakfast every day.  So the idea that I could make my own ice cream at home?  Amazing.  And also grating.  Think how much money I've spent on ice cream over the course of a lifetime!  Think how many times I've had to make an emergency run to Dairy Queen!  My God!  And all I needed was some fruit and milk.  Lord.  The revelation.

1 comment:

  1. This is big news. And to think I have frozen mangoes and blackberries just waiting for some milk mixture in my freezer right now.

    I've been reading Martha Beck's The Four-Day Win as a way of thinking about what I believe is a somewhat anxious relationship to food I've developed in the last few years as I've been rounding 40. I think you'd love it, on multiple levels (it's good self-help advice that I think can be applied to academic work, for example) and your bowl of ice cream syncs well with her approach to eating and loving oneself.

    Kisses. Ice cream. And chocolate.

    Nanny

    ReplyDelete