Thursday, June 4, 2009

Maybe Kinda Sorta

I'm taking another class at unchurch, this one called "Breakthroughs."  There's some cheesy parts to it (like, at the beginning, we all stand up, our hands in the air, and yell things like "I AM the breakthrough."  Lord.  It's almost too much to take.  But I suspend my cynicism, I suspend it, because the whole fucking class WORKS). 

Anyway, I didn't really have a "breakthrough" I was trying to achieve or anything--I just really like taking classes there.  I feel better generally, and learn tons and tons.

Except, now I am having a breakthrough.  Maybe.  But I'm kind of scared to talk about it.  Can I let it tentatively leak here?  Will you promise not to laugh?  Because, the thing is, I've been given permission to have my breakthrough look sort of ugly and funny at first.  I've been given permission to make lots of mistakes, but to be bold anyway.

So...my breakthrough is that I might, kind of, sort of, want to do something with this whole sewing thing.

(Yikes!  Did that make it real?  Or did I hedge enough so that I don't really have to commit yet?).

I don't know if I want it to be a business, or what.  But last week's class was about putting down some "action items" for achieving our dream (which I'm only barely acknowledging, see?).  And one of my action items was that I really need a new sewing machine and the universe should deliver me one.  And also I need some sewing classes so I can master some harder things.  And maybe write a vision and mission for this, this thing that is a tiny little speck of a germ in my brain.

I mean, you've seen some of the stuff I've been doing.  It's ugly, like birthing baby animals or something, all covered in goop and hay.  But I see things there, like things that could be real at some point.  Things I think could be beautiful.  Like, I could see taking people's clothes they think they don't want anymore and remaking them into something they would want to wear again, that's personal and unique and that doesn't send stuff to the landfill or the thrift store, you know?  I can see things built from things that would otherwise be trash, but now are art, or of use.  You know? 

Upcycling.  That's what I'm talking about.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  Mission and vision come later in the week.

For NOW the news is this:  a new sewing machine IS on its way to me (thank you, thank you, J.B.!).  There are sewing classes at the fabric store near me, for $1.00, starting in July.  Miracles!  And I'll post a vision and mission here for vetting in the coming days, okay?

Okay?

2 comments:

  1. Alright, I'm going to have to email JB and see where my new sewing machine is ;) Kidding.

    Upcycling rocks. I've been reworking a denim skirt for my husband's cousin this week, and I REALLY really love cutting things apart and sewing them back together again. There is nothing in my closet that is free of the danger.

    Good luck with your plans! There's so much inspiration out there...

    -Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upcycling! Never heard of it in that way, but I'm eyeballing some fabrics I love on some clothes that I no longer do, and I'd pay for you to experiment with them and see what could come out of it.

    "JDS Fashion. Upcycle." Sweet-ass motto. You should use The Write Doctors for your company's cite. Let me pitch in on the copy.

    Psyched you're doing Breakthroughs. Despite cheesy moments and New Thought freakazoids, it does work. I can't wait to hear what you think of the backward stepping ritual.

    ReplyDelete