Friday, October 27, 2006

Houston, We Have Poop



 

This is a picture of my friend Ashley and her daughter Scout with us at People's Fair this year.  Ashley has that awesome vibe of the first-time mom, totally blissed out and relaxed.  I love hanging out with her because her Buddhattitude is contagious and because she's not afraid to breastfeed in public.  It's nice to have someone you can hang out with and who understands the need to plop down in the middle of the mall and whip your boob out to calm down your kid.  If we were lightbulbs, Ashley would be that soft, kind light you like to have on when you're reading late at night. 


I, on the other hand, am currently the harsh fluorescent kind, vibrating at this annoying frequency, running around trying to corral two children.  Oh, every once in a while I get a glimpse of the softlight me, like when Addie and Nolie are cuddling up to me, and I'm managing to read a book to them both without anyone screaming.  Or when nobody's nose is running.  (Okay, that's never really happened.  But if it did, I'd be softlight).  But when I've got both girls, I mostly feel fluorescent, in a Vegas Strip sort of way.  I wonder if other people see me vibrating, or if it's just an internal frenetic energy.


Today's exciting news:  first, I did not light myself on fire at all today.  Not even once.  Second, Nolie let forth two giant fecal emissions (sound the alarm, Beyonce), thus relieving the gastastrophe that had been brewing.  It probably sounds weird to be so excited about poop, but I am.  Mama's gonna sleep tonight!


On a more somber note (I know, what could be more somber than poop?), we have yet again let Addie get so sick that by Friday evening she needs to go to the doctor.  Her ears are hurting again, and she can't hear very well, and the runny nose has reached epic proportions.  To test this, I asked her three times if she wanted chocolate cake, and she didn't respond.  Normally she'll scratch your eyes out to get chocolate cake, so I consider this a very scientific experiment.  The results indicate some seriously f*&^ed up sinuses. 


So, I ask you this:  how the heck are you supposed to know if your kid has a virus or a bacterial infection?  I mean, doctors are always lecturing you about not bringing your kids in if they have "just a virus."  But these viruses always seem to brew into infections in Addie.  There's no green boogers, no wildly high temperature, no oozing pustules.  But invariably, Addie gets an ear infection.  On Friday night.  When the doctor's office is closed for two more days. 


Maybe Mama's not going to sleep tonight after all.



1 comment: