Tuesday, April 24, 2007

La La Lazies

 


 


Oh, boy.


I can feel a serious case of the lazies coming on.  Being home with Addie yesterday--having four hours of unadulterated (untoddlerated?) time to fold laundry and pack boxes and check email and blog was too, too wonderful.  I'm melting a little just thinking about it.  Plus, these last two weeks of the semester are always bizarrely easy.  Students are working on papers, I cancel class and meet them for conferences, tie up loose ends, and so on.  Not to mention there is a whopper of a rainstorm carrying on outside today.  A perfect recipe for jammies, beer, sofa, napping, daytime tv. 


Was there ever a me who did such things?  I have vague memories of a me in the distant past who did things like flop, belly-down, on the bed and listen to an entire c.d.  The extravagance.


Do you know what one of my secret dreams for the summer is?  To do a gigantic jigsaw puzzle.


Seriously. 


I'd like to just hole myself up in my little office at the new house and do a giant jigsaw puzzle.  A really hard one.  Like one that is all one color, and the pieces are only slightly different from one another.  The urge to do this is so strong it's nearly overwhelming.


It's not as if I have summer off, by any means.  I have a bunch of projects I'll be getting paid to complete, plus all that off-the-clock stuff I do over the summer but don't really get paid for.  Still, time is a little more elastic.  I can work from home a lot.  And there are no classes, so deadlines are a little fuzzier.  Fuzzy enough to leave time for the jigsaw puzzle.  Fuzzy enough to take a day off now and then.


I realize it's not about the puzzle.  I realize that what I really want is some time to just lose myself in some mindless activity, free from obligation.  It's not as if I have some burning passion for doing puzzles or anything.  I'm a freak, but I ain't that freaky.  I haven't done a real puzzle in probably twenty years. Once when I was a kid--around nine or ten--I spent three whole days of my Christmas vacation doing a giant puzzle in the basement of our house, the t.v. running the entire time.  Some part of me must be tapping into the mindless pleasure of that memory. 


I know this because there were some puzzles at Steve and Julie's this weekend, and I didn't want to let any of the kids play with them.  I wanted to do them.  "Are you trying to clean up?" Julie asked me.  I think she's worried I'm going to come in and try to organize her house or something.  But that wasn't it at all.  I couldn't really explain that I just felt obsessed about seeing all those neat little pieces come together, to have it all be complete.  A sense of accomplishment without really risking anything.


What this made me realize is that I haven't had any time to be mindless.  I know, I know--the Buddhists are always trying to get you to be mindful.  I think it's just that everything I've been doing lately has been closely tied to a "should" or a "must."  Because time is so precious and goes so quickly, I've felt the need to justify every little activity as being related to motherhood or work.  This is exhausting. 


The lazies, they are a'coming.  Hallelujah.



32 comments:

  1. Good job once again. Thanks a lot;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want quality acoustic guitars, the best beginner acoustic guitar in the market, you should be prepared to spend a little extra cash for it. It does not have to be too expensive, though. But in searching through reviews on the internet, the concensus seems to be the $100 - $300 range.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My partner and I enjoyed reading this blog post, I was just wanting to know do you ever trade featured posts? I’m constantly in search of someone to make trades with and simply thought I would ask.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see the high quality of your web page which theme are you currently using?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed to create you a very small observation to help thank you once again over the exceptional things you've contributed on this website. It is certainly shockingly generous with people like you to provide publicly what exactly a number of people could possibly have made available for an e book to help make some profit for themselves, precisely given that you might have done it if you decided. The secrets as well served as the great way to realize that other individuals have the identical fervor the same as my personal own to learn a great deal more with regards to this problem. I believe there are a lot more enjoyable instances up front for people who read through your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have noticed the looks of your site which platform are you currently using?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ";` i always love to read about stuffs like this one ",'

    ReplyDelete
  8. i enjoy reading your choosen topic for this month ,"-*,.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, i love to read all of your post. ;'.""`

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a blog crazed person and i love to read cool blog like yours.,".,:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perhaps you should update the php server on your webhost, Wordpress is kinda slow.,.~-"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perhaps you should also a put a forum site on your blog to increase reader interaction.```:*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you seem to be very knowledgable about this kind of topics.,~-;.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You seem to be very professional in the way you write.;:.~*

    ReplyDelete
  15. RSS Feeds on your blog sometimes does not work.`,`-;

    ReplyDelete
  16. A blog like yours should be earning much money from adsense.:*-~-

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always visit your blog everyday to read new topics.,",'"

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bookmared your site a couple of days ago coz your blog impresses me.,;::*

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so cool man, the post on your blogs are super great..``:,

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blog has the same post as another author but i like your better.*"'':

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have you tried twitterfeed on your blog, i think it would be cool.~:"-"

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perhaps you should also a put a forum site on your blog to increase reader interaction.-;;":

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your blog never ceases to amaze me, it is very well written and organized.,'"`,

    ReplyDelete
  24. Only a few blogger would discuss this topic the way you do.-,-`,

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sometimes, blogging is a bit tiresome specially if you need to update more topics.'-``-

    ReplyDelete
  26. I bookmared your site a couple of days ago coz your blog impresses me..";;"

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think your blog is getting more and more visitors.,~;`"

    ReplyDelete
  28. What I have observed in terms of computer memory is that there are specifications such as SDRAM, DDR and so forth, that must go with the specs of the motherboard. If the pc's motherboard is rather current and there are no main system issues, replacing the storage space literally will take under 1 hour. It's among the list of easiest computer upgrade treatments one can visualize. Thanks for spreading your ideas. ..

    ReplyDelete
  29. A powerful share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If doable, as you change into experience, would you mind updating your weblog with extra details? It is highly helpful for me. Huge thumb up for this blog submit!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for this resourse, I am considering talking about the same in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  31. A regulation agency usually venture entity formed by guaranteed or extra lawyers to interact within make the most of of regulation

    ReplyDelete