Monday, August 20, 2007

The Earth is Good to Me

The Post ran a story yesterday about climate scientists who are shocked and appalled ("agog," one says) that the polar ice caps are melting so fast, melting much faster than they had predicted.  They will, in fact, be gone by 2030.  The article also talked about how oil companies viewed this as an opportunity, as the melting would make oil exploration and transport easier.


I read this as I was sitting the girls down for dinner tonight, and had to fight back my tears, my frustration.  Addie hiked herself up into her big-girl chair and touched my arm.  "Mom?  Before we eat, we have to sing the song!"


"OK, Addie."  And we sang her blessing song, the one they sing at preschool before lunch everyday, my voice deep and sad, hers high and bright:


The earth is good to me.

And so I thank the earth,

for giving me

the things I need,

the sun and the rain and the apple seed.

The earth is good to me.

In 2030, Addie will be 26.  Nolie will be 24.  It's forever away.  And the blink of an eye.  I'm having to marshall every resource I have not to gnash my teeth and pull out my hair at the possible futures this means for these sweet, sweet girls, who may have very, very hard lives as this planet changes shapes and directions.  Or may not.  Maybe they will be strong, leaders even, engaged in the good.  Who's to know?  I will have to choose hope.  The other option is madness.



No comments:

Post a Comment