Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Lesson Late

What is up with my memory? 

An old college friend emailed me out of the blue last week after seeing my profile on MySpace.  "Hey!  How are you?  Remember when you did blahdiblah?  And I did blahdiblah?  And then you threw up?"

But no, I didn't remember any of those things!  I mean, I was delighted to hear from this person, and our conversation jogged a few foggy old memories out of the dusty hiding space they've been stored in, but for the most part, I get the feeling that there are entire swathes of my life history that I have forgotten, or don't understand, or that no longer make sense.

Contrast this with Nancy, who remembers every song lyric every written, every minute of her college years and can recount them with hilarious precision, every friend she's ever had.  Or my grandmother, who claims to remember being a newborn, and can also recall every wrong ever done her.  Ever.

And it's not just my college years.  If it was, I could just explain that by the fact that I was drunk for most of them.  No.  It's huge quantities of my life.  It's people who were dear friends.  Events that shaped who I am.  Decisions made.  If they don't fall into some of the biggest metanarratives I tell about myself, they're gone.  Vanished. 

What the hell?

It's disorienting, this incredible loss of detail.  I mean, to some extent, I think it's probably enabled me to go full speed ahead with everything.  You ask me how I do "it all"--work, mothering, wifing, whatever--and maybe it's this:  maybe I sweep old things, things that aren't being used at the moment, out of my brain, to make way for new, more immediate stuff.  Maybe it's how I deal with pain.  Or maybe it's not such a big deal, nothing quite so deep as all of that.  Maybe I shouldn't worry about it.

Except that I'm starting to miss some of it.  I'm wishing I had my own personal "This Is Your Life" episode, so that I could be reminded of the amazing, wonderful people I've forgotten, and the experiences I've had.  Even the mistakes I've made.

This has been embarrassing at times.  I remember going home to Boise once, in my twenties, and going out dancing with a guy I was dating.  We ran into a bunch of people who clearly knew me, whom I went to college with, one I had even dated.  And I couldn't remember them at all.  Not even a little.  This was a terrible feeling, and I knew they were hurt.  But it just wasn't there. 

I used to keep scrapbooks, pages and pages of prom pictures and love notes and compressed helium balloons.  I threw a bunch away a few years back, wanting to rid myself of reminders of then, the not-me, the not-now.  The rest are in storage somewhere.  But even those contain just bits of stories.

It's not, by the way, that I haven't lived a great life.  I have.  I feel its fullness so much sometimes--am so filled with gratitude--that it's overwhelming.  I feel most of it deeply, live feelingly everyday.  Which is why I often don't take cameras on trips; I want to just be there, be in the moment, and live it, rather than frame each second.

But that leads to this predicament:  an overall sense of well-being and prosperity, and an almost complete lack of detail, relief.  Will I ever get those moments back?  Is there a way to remember again?

I think a big part of it is that I've lost so many friends over the years, from high school, college, grad school....  There has been nobody to reminisce with over these years, nobody to remind me who I was, and to love me or forgive me for it.  It's partly why I'm so envious of all of you who have kept everyone in your life.  Maybe that's been the biggest loss of all:  not the memories, but the connections.  I've gained a lot, moving forward so fast, and have lost tons, too.

Which is also probably why I remember the last seven years better than the 25 before, too.  Because we've been here since 2001, have built friendships and connections, and try to sustain them as best we can.  So memories of me are out there, and my memories are embodied in those around me, and so there is access, and sharing.  A good lesson to learn, but I'm sorry it came so late.

Weird how these things happen, isn't it?  The way the past calls to you when you least expect it?  I'm getting doses and doses lately.



11 comments:

  1. I think I remember a lot of details, especially from certain eras of my life, because I was always intently observing. But observing is often one step removed from what's happening--not entirely acting in the present, but watching the present unfold. All the people I know who move in the manner I refer to as "constant forward motion" (like you) seem to forget a lot, but they're also more action oriented and seem to get more done. In my constant forward motion phases, like during the school quarter, I notice that I forget a lot too. I think as a writer I prefer the observer position, but life requires the CFM too.

    Song lyrics are another story. I have a steel trap mind for them. If only I could turn it into cash.

    Anyway, loved this post.

    -N

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got your weblink, thanks. It seems to be down or not working. Does anyone have a backup link or mirror? Cool that would help out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello, I tried to e-mail you with respect to this post but can't seem to reach you. Please web mail me when get a moment. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, I sent an web mail to you about this post, its not coming thru for me. Can you connect with me when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weblink you sent will not seem to work, does anybody at all have a mirror or backup weblink source?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man I love your post and it is so fabulous and I am definetly going to bookmark it. One thing to say the Indepth analysis this article has is greatly remarkable.Who goes that extra mile these days? Bravo. Just one more tip you caninstall a Translator for your Global Readers !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey guys i wish to share with you a way i make $500 daily and i only spend 15 minutes doing it a day! Anyone can do it, you dont NEED to have a website. I strongly recommend you check their website out as there is really a brilliant video that explains each thing you need to know. Check them out at Mobile Monopoly. That's the name of the System and i suggest if you own a website that you at-least go and take a peak, you wont regret it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for using correct grammar. Almost all pages were complete gibberish...

    ReplyDelete
  9. greetings, I just wanted to comment and say that I was really impressed with your blog. Keep up the good work! You are a really talented writer and it shows

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read several good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you put to create such a wonderful informative site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that you are all going to like this... especially if you like money, and who doesn't? How about a software that automatically creates websites and automatically sends visitors to those sites? Sounds pretty good if you ask me. There are 12 tutorial modules that come with this software and they each have their very own, easy to understand video tutorials. If you have been looking for a residual passive income that is easy to set up then look no further. The super simple software allows you to create multiple money sucking websites in minutes. The software is really something special. It can work in any niche market. This software is designed to work for newbies as well as old pros in the online money making world. It is easy to see how you could even make as much as $30,000 per month, or as little as $300 per month, with this software. Yes, if you just do the minimum and only set up one site, you will only have the ability to make around $300 per month. Fortunately, it only takes about 2 minutes to set up one of these sites. Therefore, you can set up site after site because there is an unlimited number of campaigns that can be run. If you are like most people, you won't just settle for one or two profit machines but will instead create these little babies just as fast as you can click. Do the math. If everything works like it's supposed to, you could create one little site and rake in your $300 per month or create a thousand of them and make $300,000 per month. Who knows? Check It Out -> http://cash411.info/go/231

    ReplyDelete